The DASH PTSA is comprised of parents, teachers, administrators and students. We meet approximately once per month. During the “new normal” we’re practicing increased safety by having our board meet on Zoom.
The PTSA is self-funded by your membership and various events held throughout the year.. The major items funded by the PTSA, include:
- contributions toward sending 40 students (fully paid) on a pre-college trip to the School of Visual Arts and Parsons School of Design in New York (learn more here).
- contributions towards the architecture/industrial and graphic design competition and scholarship program.
- supporting cultural and other student activities, such as the pin and ring ceremonies, graduations, showcases and honor roll breakfasts.
- contributions towards hosting over 74 college representatives at DASH on portfolio day, where students display their work and often walk away with scholarships on the spot.
- supporting our internship program.
- supporting the annual DASH fashion show.
- supporting tutoring activities and mentoring opportunities.
- supporting our Board of Advisors – a unique group of prominent local business and arts leaders who support DASH students with advice, guidance and opportunities.
- supporting teacher recognition and staff events
The majority of our funding comes from our annual marquee event, Taste of Design, now in its eleventh year; along with membership dues and individual contributions..
Moreover, the PTSA’s Board is taking a hard look at the items we have traditionally funded, with the stated goal of developing new programs that have an immediate impact on our students. Some of the items we have identified so far are
- funding for additional cultural and educational trips (Dali Museum, Ringling Museum, Disney Animation Studios, etc.)
- funding for college tours during the Fall (in-state and out-of-state)
- funding to update our media center, printing lab (laser cutters, 3D printers, etc.) and architecture lab
- funding for drawing tablets, scanners, and other technologies
- funding for strand specific projects (Architecture, Industrial Design, Entertainment Tech, Fashion, Visual
Communications and Fine Arts)
Lastly, we recognize that with so many moving parts and decisions to make, information is one of the most valuable resources at DASH. To that end the PTSA hopes to hold a series of panel discussions for DASH parents this year, to include the following topics:
- Freshman: Student strand/program selection (Architecture, Industrial Design, Entertainment Tech, Fashion, Visual Communications) and other survival tips
- Sophomores: Developing your portfolio and the top 5 things to know as a sophomore at DASH
- Juniors: SVA/Parsons and other pre-college summer opportunities; preparing for the SAT/ACT
- Seniors: Scholarships, essays and the college application process
Dates and more details for each of these sessions will be forthcoming to PTSA members. We also hope to prepare a DASH parent guidebook with a calendar of events and a list of important dates for each grade.
To join the PTSA, please click here. The cost is only $10, but the real value comes with your participation. Whether it is through a financial contribution, in-kind service, or volunteering, every parent should take pride and participate in our school’s success. Few private institutions in Miami, or around the country for that matter, can compare with the caliber of programming and experiences DASH offers.
Our students are very fortunate to be attending this prestigious school and it should be our privilege as parents to support this institution and the outstanding education our students will take with them as they graduate.
As you learn more about DASH and our goals, please be thinking about your personal and business connections and how they may be interested in sponsoring one of our efforts, accepting one of our interns, or donating their services to one of our programs or events.